Honeydew Bubble Tea

by Kris on May 12, 2011

Being a teenager can be very frustrating. I remember being sixteen and having nothing to do and no place to go after 9pm. My friends and I wanted a place to go and hang out at night but coffee was overrated and a lack of fake i.d. narrowed our choices slim to none.

That is until the bubble tea phenomena hit Ottawa virtually overnight. Suddenly there were brightly coloured venues lining Chinatown serving teenagers strange Taiwanese tea until 2am. My friends and I were so excited to have a late night spot where we could be parent free and claim our independence.

Our favourite bubble tea restaurant, Bubblicity, served a large variety of fruit based teas such as honeydew, lychee, and durian, all of which were served with black tapioca pearls lingering at the bottom. As the trend caught on more varieties were available including thicker milkshake teas and drinks with flavoured jelly replacing the traditional tapioca pearls. As it became more popular restaurants began installing karaoke machines and staying open 24 hours.

It wasn’t long until everybody and their grandmother was drinking bubble tea. When I moved to Toronto for college things were no different. We could even order bubble tea at our school’s cafeteria. When I first met Greg, fresh from NYC, he had never seen bubble tea and was amazed by its strange appearance and popularity.

The trend is beginning to catch on in America but there are very few bubble tea cafes in Dallas. Surprisingly it is quite easy to make at home so if you want to try this Taiwanese treat or have moved to a city lacking in bubble tea try making it yourself!

1 cup black tapioca pearls
2 green tea bags
½ honeydew melon
1 cup milk or plain soy milk
agave syrup to taste

In a large pot bring 10 cups of water to a boil. Add tapioca pearls and boil until plump; about 5 minutes. Cover and reduce heat to medium; simmer for 5 minutes. Drain tapioca pearls and set aside.

In the meantime, bring two cups of water to a boil and steep two bags of green tea. Place in the refrigerator until cool.

Peel and seed half a honeydew melon and chop into bite size pieces. Place in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Refrigerate until cool.

When tea and puree are cold, combine in a large jug. Add milk and sweeten to taste.

To serve place 2-3 tablespoons of tapioca pearls in a glass and top with honeydew tea. Drink with an extra large straw.

Serves 4

Erin May 13, 2011 at 3:56 am

I love this with honey milk tea! just thick english tea, with milk and sugar syrup or honey. ice cubes. put them together, shake shake and voila!

pigpigscorner May 13, 2011 at 8:12 am

My favourite is passion fruit! The bubbles are so addictive!

Von May 13, 2011 at 9:27 am

I just had honeydew bubble tea last week :) It wasn’t all that great, but since then I’ve been thinking of making my own- funny that I come across this today! :D When I get my hands on a honeydew melon I’m definitely trying this out! It looks so good!

Chris May 13, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I too was introduced to Bubble tea when I moved to Ottawa (from the east coast) and immediately fell in love! I’ve often wondered how to make it at home. Wonder where in Ottawa I can track down black tapioca pearls? Any connection still to O-town so you might be able to suggest a place??

munchinwithmunchkin May 13, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Try Kowloon market on Somerset or T&T Supermarket on Hunt Club. They would probably have them. If not you can buy them online here: http://www.amazon.com/BLACK-TAPIOCA-PEARL-8-8-250G/dp/B002L06V1E

Chris May 13, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Thanks. Will check out these spots. Have heard great things about the new T&T so now I have even more reason to check it out…

Made With Pink May 13, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Love this! Back in Canada I absolutely loved bubble tea, but it wasn’t until about a month ago when that the craze finally hit London in the UK. I was invited to the launch event and was so thankful to have my first sip of bubble tea since leaving Canada 3 years prior. I’ve got the straws & pearls at home, but can’t find any of the flavoured syrups. I will definitely be giving this recipe a try! Can’t wait!!

Mai May 13, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I made regular boba milk tea last time but I love honeydew too. Def. going to try this recipe. Thanks!

Sarah June 2, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I like it with chocolate milk. Thanks for the recipe!

Iva | in my kitchen November 4, 2011 at 8:23 am

i just pinned this on pinterest so I could make it next time! I love bubble tea its so refreshing!

kalamckala January 22, 2012 at 1:08 am

Oh, I’m excited to try this! I am a bubble tea FIEND.