Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge

by Kris on May 30, 2011

There is nothing I loathe more than packing. Especially packing for six months and three seasons and having to do it over memorial day weekend. It’s hard to imagine needing wool sox and sweaters! Obviously I am drawn to summer dresses and sandals but I have to remind myself that in four months they will be completely useless to me.

So the procrastinator that I am, I decided it was more important to bake. The rational was that I needed to bake to empty our fridge and obviously for my sanity. I’ve been wanting to try my hand at raw food and have been collecting ingredients for months. I very much doubted Greg would get any use from my agave nectar or coconut butter so it was up to me to use up these ingredients today.

I am so completely amazed at how much this tastes like fudge! This might even rival my aunt Roseanne’s famous fudge. I had no idea raw food could be so easy and delicious! If you are looking for something to ease that sweet tooth but really don’t want to fill yourself with sugar, this recipe is for you!

This is officially my last post in Texas for the year. The next time you hear from me I will be back in Ottawa. Like I mentioned before my posts may become sporadic for the next few weeks as I will be visiting friends and family in Ottawa, Toronto, and Montreal. Once I get settled everything will be back to normal, promise. So see ya next year Texas! It’s been fun!

½ cup coconut butter
1 Tbsp. peanut butter
2 ripe bananas
3 Tbsp. cocoa powder
2 Tbsp. Agave nectar
1 Tsp. vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.

Fold mixture into a flat, sealable container and freeze for 1 hour or refrigerate overnight.

To make your own coconut butter, pulse shredded coconut in a food processor until smooth; about 8-12 minutes.

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos May 30, 2011 at 6:50 pm

this looks DELICIOUS!!! yumm~~~

rachel May 30, 2011 at 11:45 pm

got everything to make this! can’t wait to try it :)

John May 31, 2011 at 3:51 am

Looks really good, but how is it healthy? Coconut oil/ butter is horrid for your health! Normal butter is healthy in comparison.

munchinwithmunchkin May 31, 2011 at 4:16 am

Unlike butter, which is high in saturated fat, coconut butter contains medium chain triglycerides which boosts immunity, kills bacteria and viruses, and protects against cancer. Coconut butter is high in fat, but it is healthy fat, which helps boost your metabolism and allows your body to burn more calories. Surprisingly coconut butter, out of all food, most resembles breast milk as it both has high amounts of lauric acid! Don’t be scared off by it’s fat content, coconut butter and oil really are super foods! :)

michelle @ The Domestic Mama and The Village Cook May 31, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Is it kept at room temperature, or store in fridge?It looks deeeelish!

munchinwithmunchkin May 31, 2011 at 9:17 pm

You should store it in the fridge as it can get a little too soft kept at room temperature.

Christine May 31, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Coconut oil is really good for you. Don’t be afraid to eat it. It’s a fantastic fat with healing properties. Good for your digestion, great for your skin, and it won’t make you fat. The lauric, capric, and caprylic acid in it are great for you, and hard to get elsewhere in such high concentration.

shelley June 1, 2011 at 12:30 am

oh my goodness… this looks amazing. I may try it with carob powder, since I have it on hand and am one of the weirdo’s that likes it a bit more than chocolate. Thank you for posting this… very excited to make it!

cookie and kate June 1, 2011 at 3:50 am

My sweet tooth has been insatiable lately and your fudge recipe isn’t helping. :) Safe travels!

Anna June 1, 2011 at 12:58 pm

This sounds to die for! Do you think coconut oil would work in place of coconut butter, or are they different?

munchinwithmunchkin June 1, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I can’t say for sure whether it would work or not. Coconut oil is just the oil extracted from coconut pulp where as coconut butter is both the oil and pulp. If you have shredded coconut you can make your own butter, just blend it in a food processor until smooth. I would imagine using coconut oil would make the fudge a little less firm and more smooth in texture. Let me know how it turns out!

Ragamuffin Diaries June 1, 2011 at 9:01 pm

this recipe is an incredible combination of ingredients! what an awesome idea; I can’t wait to try this out!

kala June 2, 2011 at 7:41 pm

This looks really amazing, thanks for sharing the recipe!

Inventive Vegan June 3, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I love this! Whipped up a batch last minute to have at tea with the girls. They are not even vegetarians but the absolutely loved this dessert!

greenbean June 3, 2011 at 6:29 pm

think this will work with frozen bananas? all my super ripe bananas just went into the freezer.

munchinwithmunchkin June 3, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I can’t see why not. Let me know if it works!

vegan weight gain June 9, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Thanks for the article.. I have just recently found the vegan lifestyle and I love it. It seems like I just can’t take in enough information.

ConquerPCOS June 16, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Hi,

While searching for gluten free, dairy free recipes, I came across your blog. I really like it :) This recipe looks GREAT!!

I am putting together a book/ebook of recipes to assist my PCOS patients in eating well. I was hoping I could have permission to use some of your recipes. I would, of course, reference your details and your website. This may be a good link for your site.

I thankyou for your consideration.

Regards,
Dr Rebecca Harwin.

munchinwithmunchkin June 21, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Absolutely! I’m so happy my recipes could help! I would love to see the book when it’s done.

Carolyn B July 22, 2011 at 11:18 am

I didn’t believe this could taste so good until I made it tonight. I was literally licking my processor after that. Thank you, thank you for sharing this with us!

Kristen September 8, 2011 at 11:18 am

Thanks very much for sharing this recipe! I made this last night and love the way it turned out, I can really get my chocolate fix without feeling guilty. At the first bite you do notice a strong banana flavour, but the more bites you take the more you sink into a rich chocolate-y heaven. Wonderful! :D

Barrett Ashwood November 24, 2011 at 3:20 am

You’ve got a fairly cool blog going on here. Good work – you’ve gotten yourself another regular reader.

munchinwithmunchkin November 24, 2011 at 10:06 am

Thank you!

Carlie January 27, 2012 at 9:50 pm

if i don’t have coconut butter or agave nectar is there something i can sub?

munchinwithmunchkin January 27, 2012 at 10:01 pm

You can sub maple syrup for agave nectar. The coconut butter, however, is very important to the consistency of the fudge. You can always make your own by blending a few cups of dried shredded coconut in a food processor until smooth.

Amalina March 8, 2012 at 9:58 pm

The fudge looks yummehhhh. Do you think I can substitute agave nectar with honey?

Kris March 8, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Thanks! You could definitely use honey, although it wouldn’t be vegan then. You could also use maple syrup instead of agave.

Summer Cameron May 16, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Instead of the coconut can I use my sunflower dairy free butter? I’m baking for people allergic to coconut but LOVERS of fudge! Please respond asap:)!! x

Kris May 16, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I’m not sure if it would work. Coconut butter has a thicker consistency and firms up when refrigerated. I haven’t tried sunflower butter but I’d assume it would be a similar consistency to peanut butter. If you do give it a try I’d love to hear how it works for you. Sorry I couldn’t be more help. Good luck!

chalynda June 30, 2012 at 6:19 pm

is there anything else i can use instead of coconut butter?

Kris June 30, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Honestly I can’t think of anything. Anyone have suggestions?

Melice July 12, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Oh God, I’m not a vegan but I love many of vegan’s food, and I just wanted to thank you for this wonderful and amazing recipe, it was just amazing, I have no words to describe it, so, thank you so MUCH for sharing. :)

Punctuation, I lack of it, obviously, but just wanted to thank you for it!

Marylou August 31, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Yummy fudge! A friend made this for me today and was wondering if you had any nutritional data on a serving, maybe 1.5″ x 1.5″?

Lura October 3, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Can you use Honey instead of Agave Nectar? Thanx

Kris October 3, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Yes you can, although it won’t be vegan. Maple syrup works well too!