Best Before 1996

by Kris on June 21, 2011

You’re probably wondering if I fell off the face of the earth. Well, not quite, although Canada is pretty close. The last month has been so hectic as Greg and I spent most of our time traveling to different cities visiting friends and family. Now that I am finally settled in, it’s time for Munchin with Munchkin’s comeback!

I have several recipe ideas I’m dying to try but there’s one small obstacle; my mother’s fridge. As you all know, I am a condiment junkie. What you probably don’t know is my mum is a condiment hoarder. She claims she has no idea how her fridge became a storage unit for sauce and pickles but I think she secretly has an obsession with all things condiment. I imagine her sneaking out late in the night to purchase hoisin sauce and horseradish, relishing in her secret addiction.

Today I decided to tackle said monstrosity and organize her fridge. Bountiful with jars of jam, pickles, and salad dressing the contents of her fridge were pulled apart. It was a plethora of best before dates from 2010 and beyond. As I pulled out the final jar of jam at the back of the fridge I was completely shocked to read ‘best before April 1996’. I was ten years old in 1996! Bill Clinton was the president of The United States in 1996!! That jar of jam was only 3 years away from voting age! It could even drive a car in some provinces!

After hours of shock and awe everything is organized and nothing that would be graduating high school in two years resides in our fridge. Give me a few days and Munchin with Munchkin will be business as usual. Until then I’ll be hauling out the heaping bags of trash.

Val June 21, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Now that I have stopped laughing at the little sh*t, she forgot to mention that mom works a full time job and a part time job and volunteers at various places. Also I don’t really eat condiments and bought them for her!!! Then she moves to the U.S. leaving her condiments behind. Must admit the fridge looks great and she is not allowed to buy even ketchup!!
The Red Faced Mom!!

Elena Potter June 21, 2011 at 11:25 pm

My parents’ fridge is the exact same way.. except I am grateful for these ridiculous accumulated excesses that I can’t afford myself, like 10 kinds of hot sauce! It does drive me bonkers, but it is really kind of fun to eat a burger with 4 different types of mustard on it, just for the heck of it ;)

munchinwithmunchkin June 22, 2011 at 1:28 am

I totally agree! Except when the four types of mustard are the same age as me. haha!

shelley June 23, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Oh, how I relate to this post. Not only does my mother have a fridge filled to the rim with years old condiments… she also has “the vitamin cabinet”. I swear there are pill bottles in that cupboard that are close to thirty years old. It has become “the cupboard that will not be mentioned”. She won’t clean it because, for her, it is a low priority. And she won’t let me clean it, because “I throw things away too quickly.” I need someone to explain to her that Vitamin C is no longer good after year twenty-five!!

I adore my mom, but, thank you for letting me know I am not alone…

sarahpalmerphoto June 29, 2011 at 2:35 pm

This is a woman after my own heart. I applaud you Val!

Ragamuffin Diaries July 4, 2011 at 10:09 pm

sounds like you’ve been busy! I’ve been in the same boat of being busy and lacking time to post; it’s good to see some more updates from you!!