Maple Marshmallows

by Kris on December 8, 2011

My family used to own a sugar camp. Every spring, my uncles would take us out to the woods to collect the sap buckets. We would sit in the back of the pick up truck and enjoy the ride through the bush. When we arrived at the camp, my uncle would start boiling the sap and we would sit at the table and play card games.

I always looked forward to the first batch, where we would throw some syrup on the snow and make maple candy. With cold little hands holding a popsicle stick, I would savour that candy for hours.

In 1998, many of the maple trees on my family’s property were destroyed in the ice storm and we had no choice but to close the sugar shack. I miss having an endless supply of maple syrup. Especially now that I live in Texas where oil is cheaper than syrup!

I’ve been wanting to make my own maple marshmallows for quite some time, but every recipe claimed they were impossible to make without a stand mixer. As much as I would love to have my own stand mixer, I found it strange that you could not make marshmallows without one.

I like a challenge so I gave it a try, and you know what? No stand mixer required! If you can hold a hand mixer for 20 minutes, you can make your own marshmallows, save $300 plus dollars, AND get a great arm workout.

p.s. I would like to apologize to Canada for using maple extract. If it wasn’t so expensive here, I swear I would have used the real thing! Please don’t disown me!

Maple Marshmallows

• 3 Tbsp. unflavoured gelatin powder (3 packets)
  • ½ cup and 2 tablespoons of cold water
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 Tsp. maple extract
  • ¾ cup water
  • 1 ¼ cup dark corn syrup
  • 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
  • pinch salt
  • 2 cups powdered sugar, divided
  • 1 cup corn starch, divided

Prepare a 9×13 in baking pan with cooking spray. (Ensure the entire dish is coated, as the marshmallow mixture is very sticky. Combine ½ cup of powdered sugar with ¼ cup cornstarch. Sift mixture into the baking dish and shake so the dish is coated. Set aside.

In a large bowl combine gelatin, vanilla extract, and maple extract with ½ cup and 2 tablespoons of cold water. Gently whisk mixture until well combined and no lumps remain. Continue to whisk until the gelatin reaches a consistency similar to baby food (about one minute). Set aside.

In a medium saucepan combine ¾ cup water, corn syrup, granulated sugar, and salt. Whisk to combine and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cover pot, reduce heat and simmer for about 2 and a half minutes. Remove from heat.

Pour mixture over gelatin and beat on medium with an electric mixer until combined, about one minute. Increase speed to maximum and beat for 15-20 minutes until the mixture is glossy and makes meringue like peaks.

Pour marshmallow mixture into prepared 9×13 inch dish and spread evenly. Wet spatula and smooth the top until it’s even.

Leave the marshmallow mixture uncovered on a counter for 24 hours to set.

Once the marshmallows have set, prepare your workspace. Combine remaining powdered sugar and cornstarch in a medium sized bowl. Dust some of the mixture onto a cutting board.

Wet a sharp knife and drag it along the edges of the 9×13 inch dish to loosen the marshmallow mixture. Sprinkle some of the powdered sugar onto the top of the marshmallows and flip the dish onto prepared cutting board.

Cut the marshmallows into squares, occasionally wetting the knife to make more precise cuts. Toss marshmallow squares in the cornstarch sugar mixture until well coated.

Store marshmallows in a sealed container, layered between wax paper.

Marissa December 8, 2011 at 10:36 am

You are forgiven as long as you make this delicious Canuckian delicacy upon your return with the real deal. Love and hugs, Canada

cookingrookie December 8, 2011 at 10:26 pm

There are no egg whites in this recipe? I made marshmallow only once, and I was sure that’s a must. I have to give this a try..

munchinwithmunchkin December 8, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Nope, no egg whites. You just have to beat them for a long time to get the marshmallows light and fluffy enough. A stand mixer would probably help with this, but I managed fine with a hand mixer.

Stacey December 9, 2011 at 12:13 am

I’m impressed that you made one with a hand mixer. The last time I tried, my hand mixer started smoking and making weird grinding noises. I’m glad your mixer survived the journey =)

munchinwithmunchkin December 9, 2011 at 10:29 am

Oh no! That’s awful! After reading this I’m surprised mine didn’t do the same. I have literally the cheapest hand mixer on the market. haha.

Carly December 9, 2011 at 11:11 am

Oooh! I want to do this very very much! I wonder what it would take to change the receipe around to use maple syrup instead of extract? If anyone knows that would make my day! :)

nancyltremblay December 9, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Kris, tu es toute pardonnée pour cet écart ;) Le verglas de ’98 a fait beaucoup de dommage et ça me peine de savoir ton érablière familiale perdue. Certainement que d’où tu es, tu es en train de te créer de nouveaux souvenirs. Merci pour cette recette, je vais la faire pour le temps des fêtes (à la mixette à main pour moi aussi loll) !!
p.s.: Je peux te dire qu’ici, on n’est pas proche d’avoir de nouveau du verglas, c’est à peine s’il neige !

munchinwithmunchkin December 10, 2011 at 12:25 am

Je suis reconnaissante pour avoir les souvenirs d’enfance que j’ai à notre cabane à sucre. Mon but est de lancer un jour mon camp propre sucre. Probablement pas jusqu’à ma retraite dans quarante ans. Espérons que d’ici là, l’érable aura récupéré. lol. Profitez de la douceur du climat et Joyeux Noël!

Kate December 14, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I’ve never thought of making marshmallows, and maple ones?? Cool! I’m glad I found your blog today, I’ve just seen at least three things I want to make NOW! Lovely photos, too. And I forgive you for not using real maple syrup :)

Dawn December 14, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I was wondering why, when I wrote on an event message board, that I was coming from Canada to Texas, that dozens of people asked me to bring maple syrup! (Of course, I’m from southern Alberta where we don’t actually have maple trees….)

Maple extract is fine. It’s the artificial beavers that are weird. ;o

nmetzler December 15, 2011 at 7:10 am

The question is… if I use real maple syrup (that I make myself… even though I’m not from Canada.=) would I just replace the corn syrup with that?
Maple syrup is a bit thinner….?

munchinwithmunchkin December 15, 2011 at 9:39 am

I would just add a few tablespoons of maple syrup instead of the maple extract. Although I would be interested to find out if replacing corn syrup with maple syrup works. Maybe if you added a small amount of corn starch with the maple it would work out? Let me know what you come up with! I’m assuming you are from Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire if you make your own syrup? I love those states, very beautiful. My family used to make our own too, until the ice storm of 98 destroyed most of our maple trees.

Jennie December 15, 2011 at 11:11 am

Lots of people in Northern Wisconsin make maple syrup too.

munchinwithmunchkin December 15, 2011 at 11:15 am

Right on! I wish Texas did, so it wouldn’t be so expensive to buy down here!

Deb November 11, 2012 at 12:37 pm

People all over Wisconsin make their own maple syrup (though not me… but they sell it lots of the local farmers markets both in central and southern Wisconsin).

4myskin December 15, 2011 at 11:01 am

Homemade marshmallows? I didn’t know that was possible! Thanks so much for the directions and recipe. :)

Kristin Conroy December 16, 2011 at 7:48 am

I almost squealed when I saw this recipe…didn’t know you could make your own marshmallows! One question: If I use actual maple syrup, would it be the same amount as the extract? Beautiful pics btw:)

restoringhome December 16, 2011 at 9:29 am

My goodness – I don’t know what I love more – your photos or the food itself! Both beautiful, and can’t wait to try the marshmallows! Thank you so much for the recipe!

Pink Radish December 16, 2011 at 2:02 pm

If you don’t mind me asking, what type of camera are you using?? I love your photos…any information you can provide on how you achieve such excellent photographic results would be much appreciated.

Akiko December 16, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Thank you for sharing your maple-marshmallows recipe, which is fabulous. I will give a try. I also try your hot Mexican cocoa mix, too.

therealbryon-(gaysexandthecity) December 17, 2011 at 8:08 am

Canada will forgive for using maple extract, as it is rather pricy. However, this is a most awesome idea.. and will be trying it! lol. great work!

Angela Thompson December 17, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Has anyone followed up on substituting real maple in this recipe? I’d like to know if you got a good result after subbing a good amount of real maple syrup, and can you use as much as you would’ve the corn syrup? Little less?

Spectra December 18, 2011 at 9:26 am

I’ve seen a homemade marshmallow recipe before, and never got around to trying it. I love the idea of maple-flavored. I do have maple extract, and an old stand-mixer. So this, plus the hot cocoa recipes may be going together as Christmas gifts this year (affordable). I am wondering about the stickiness of the marshmallows when set and ready for cutting, though. Thanks for posting this!

cheflincoln December 18, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Howdy!
You’ve inspired me to try a gingerbread marshmallow with molasses instead of corn syrup and the usual spicy suspects: ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice in the powdered sugar. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

jessiethought December 20, 2011 at 8:10 am

Wow! They look so much better than regular marshmallows!

hestinasheart December 30, 2011 at 8:51 am

First of all – Kris – I LOVE your website!! Beautiful photos and great recipes! I gave the Maple Marshmallows and Mexican Hot Chocolate as Christmas gifts this year and I’m getting raves.

I’m a New Englander so used real Maple Syrup – Based on your recipe you have 2 cups liquid so I used 1 cup Maple Syrup (Grade A Dark Amber) and 1 cup Dark Corn Syrup. I did use a candy thermometer and cooked to “soft ball” stage. And I’m fortunate to have a stand mixer. Came out great. I put some on my cookie tray and people were eating them plain.

Emma March 15, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Any suggestions on making this without gelatin to make it vegetarian? They look so good!

Kris March 15, 2012 at 8:18 pm

You could try replacing the gelatin with agar agar, although I’ve never tried it so I can’t guarantee it’ll work. If you give it a try, I’d love to hear how it goes!

sangi March 21, 2012 at 5:32 pm

These are beautiful. I’ve made marshmallow at home a couple of times recently without much success so I’m using your recipe next for sure – thanks.

Kris March 21, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Thanks. It is a lot of work, but completely worth it. good luck :)