Baked Honey Oatmeal with Raspberries and Pistachios

by Kris on February 1, 2012

Last weekend, like many weekends, Greg and I visited the Dallas farmers market. The market is split between two sheds and one building. One of the sheds is dedicated to local farmers selling their goods and the other shed houses non local produce. The indoor building is comprised mostly of restaurants and people selling baked goods.

Unfortunately, this time of year has very few in season fruits and vegetables. This meant many of the local farmers weren’t there, and the ones that were, were selling beets, potatoes and turnips. I love root vegetables, don’t get me wrong, but I am really starting to crave fresh spring and summer produce. My sweet tooth always seems stronger in the winter, and citrus fruits are just not cutting it!

Thankfully, one thing that is always in season is Texas honey. We test tasted several varieties of honey including blackberry, orange blossom, clover and of course wildflower. It was so interesting to taste the difference between each variety. Greg preferred the citrus undertones of the orange blossom one and I found the spiciness of the clover honey odd yet appealing. We both agreed the blackberry honey tasted the most like traditional honey. After some discussion we decided on the wildflower honey. It had the sweetness of the blackberry variety with a slight spiciness similar to the clover. It also had a beautiful floral undertone which was the taste of spring I’ve been yearning for. We purchased a large container of creamed wildflower honey and were on our way.

Recently, I’ve been experimenting with oatmeal. Typically I have a hard time eating breakfast in the morning but have decided to force myself into the habit. I love oatmeal in cookies, crumbles and cakes but I have to be in the right mood for simple oatmeal. It is the creamy texture that rarely appeals to me early in the morning.  I’ve recently discovered baked oatmeal, and I have to say, it completely changed the way I look at this breakfast food. It’s like eating cake for breakfast!

These mini oatmeal ‘cakes’ are the perfect thing for a busy morning. You can make them ahead and store them in the fridge for several days. You could also freeze them so they last for months. They are just as portable as a granola bar but they taste so much better. Oh, and did I mention they are healthy and nearly fat free?

If I’m not running out the door, I like to add a dollop of greek yogurt, a drizzle of honey and a few extra pistachios. This recipe could also be made vegan by replacing the honey with maple syrup.

Baked Honey Oatmeal with Raspberries and Pistachios

• 1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
  • 2 Tbsp. creamed wildflower honey (or maple syrup, to make vegan)
  • ½ cup applesauce
  • ½ cup fat free milk (or dairy free milk, to make vegan)
  • ½ cup fresh raspberries
  • ½ Tsp. vanilla extract
  • ¼ cup pistachios

Preheat oven to 375

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.

Spray a muffin tin with cooking oil. Fill the tin to the top with oats. It should make about six oatmeal cakes.

Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. For a light crust, broil for an additional 3-5 minutes until lightly browned.

Serve on it’s own or with fresh fruit, yogurt, or milk.

Serves 3

Just A Smidgen February 1, 2012 at 11:50 am

I’ve made baked oatmeal in tiny single serving jars but I love these!! They are such cute little cakes and the ingredients you’ve added sound fabulous:) Sooo pretty!!

munchinwithmunchkin February 1, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Thank you! Next time I might try them in a jar. That could be really fun.

Just A Smidgen February 1, 2012 at 11:51 am

ps I’ve followed you on facebook… come visit me there too:)

munchinwithmunchkin February 1, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Done! Officially facebook friends :)

frannie February 1, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Now this recipe would have me eating my oatmeal. I added recipe to my try list.
Thank you for sharing.

munchinwithmunchkin February 2, 2012 at 9:49 am

Great! Thanks for stopping by my site :)

sweetsimplestuff February 1, 2012 at 3:09 pm

OH MY! So simple and good for you, too!

munchinwithmunchkin February 2, 2012 at 9:52 am

I’m typically not a morning person, so the easier breakfast is to make, the more likely I’ll actually make it.

Richa@HobbyandMore February 1, 2012 at 4:17 pm

this is just such a cute idea to eat more oats! i love the fruity nutty filling..

munchinwithmunchkin February 2, 2012 at 9:50 am

myfudo February 1, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I am loving the use of “skinny nut”! Very low calorie nut…and tasty too. Oh I love pistachios! Thanks!

munchinwithmunchkin February 2, 2012 at 9:51 am

I love pistachios as well. I use them in everything from crispy chicken to rice pudding. You can never go wrong with them

Koko February 1, 2012 at 9:33 pm

These are adorable!

munchinwithmunchkin February 2, 2012 at 9:50 am

Thank you!

needtotaste February 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm

so pretty, and I bet raspberry-pistachio are great together!

raja February 3, 2012 at 12:09 am

delishous flavors, i noticed it said serves 3, im guessing that means this recipe only makes 3 muffins?

munchinwithmunchkin February 3, 2012 at 9:16 am

It makes 6 muffins. Since they are small I serve two a person

Linda Merillat Komondy February 4, 2012 at 11:36 am

This sounds wonderful! I love quick & easy breakfasts so the idea of making this ahead and grabbing it on the go is right up my alley! Not a fan of pistacchios though, thinking I could try it with chopped walnuts or pecans.

munchinwithmunchkin February 8, 2012 at 7:32 pm

absolutely! I’ve tried many variations, with and without nuts. So far I haven’t found one I didn’t like

Miss Meshow February 4, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Sounds like a great way to get my sonny to eat oats. Thanks for the idea!

Julie Dyer February 5, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Hi Kris! Just made these today and they’re SO delicious! So glad I found your blog.

Julie (also in Ottawa)

munchinwithmunchkin February 8, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Thanks! So glad you like them! Say hi to Ottawa for me :)

Ragamuffin Diaries February 6, 2012 at 2:37 pm

these are so beautiful! what a great, easy idea.

kalamckala February 7, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Oh man, another bookmark-able recipe! I’m really excited for these. I have classes in the mornings and these would be perfect paired with a mug of tea as I make that morning trek. Oatmeal is my favorite thing…so you had me at ‘Baked Honey Oatmeal’. And these are adorable – all the more reason to make them!

munchinwithmunchkin February 8, 2012 at 7:30 pm

They’re great as a portable breakfast. I’m always throwing them at my fiance as he runs out the door for class. He never complains ;)

Chrys February 7, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Delicious! I can’t wait to make this and try it out.

Adele Forbes February 8, 2012 at 2:03 pm

These look so very terribly (in a good way) yummy and I will be having them soon..thank you so very much for sharing!

Fiona February 8, 2012 at 7:18 pm

These look great! Would they work with regular honey if I don’t have creamed honey? I’m living abroad and raspberries and pistachios are hard to come by/super expensive, but I’m definitely planning to try this recipe with a few adaptations! Have you tried it with any other mix-ins?

munchinwithmunchkin February 8, 2012 at 7:29 pm

You could definitely use normal honey. I’ve tried a lot of different combinations. Some of my favorites are blueberry walnut, apple pecan, and strawberries and white chocolate. It also works well with maple syrup instead of honey.

Chris H February 10, 2012 at 11:43 am

Do you let them cool before removing from the pan? I tried to remove it hot, and it all fell apart. Didn’t have pistachios, so I chopped cashews & pumpkin seeds- yum!

munchinwithmunchkin February 10, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I usually let mine cool for about 5-10 minutes. It helps to run a spoon along the edges to loosen it up before removing them. Love the idea of cashews! I’ll have to give that a try.

randomlyhyperfocused February 13, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Made these today and they were so good! I made a double batch (without even knowing if it would be good- sometimes ya just know) to freeze some…only I ate so many I just put the leftovers in the fridge (knowing they’d be gone soon!). Thanks for this recipe!

caitbarnett February 15, 2012 at 7:56 am

These are SO great, and leave me full (and energetic!) til lunchtime. I made the suggested recipe, then another with my own spin. Substituted 1 cup peeled, diced pear for the berries and pecans for the pistachios, and added a pinch of cinnamon. Divine! Thanks for revolutionizing my mornings. :)

Christina March 7, 2012 at 1:51 pm

They’re in the oven right now!! Didn’t have fresh raspberries or pistachios, so I subbed in frozen berries (thawed) and chopped walnuts. Can’t wait to munch on these as snacks for the rest of the week :)

Kris March 8, 2012 at 10:30 am

Great idea with the walnuts! How did they turn out?

Mariah March 10, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I am so excited to try this recipe! In fact, it’s 10:30 and I’m whipping up a batch right now because I just so happen to have all of the ingredients on hand… Don’t you love when fate makes kitchen magic happen? I’ve just returned to Fort Worth from Savannah, GA and (stop me if you’ve ever been) but they have a fabulous honey store called the Savannah Bee and I snagged a plethora of honey jars (sourwood, orange blossom, black sage, cheese honey, grill honey, tupelo, winter white (creamed)… The list goes on. Thanks so much for making my night!

Kris March 10, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Oh that’s great! I love it when that happens. Late night baking is something that happens often in my household! I’ve never been to Savannah but it’s on my list of places I really want to visit. When I finally make my way over there I will absolutely check out Savannah Bee. I love places like that. Thanks for the recommendation!

Mariah March 10, 2012 at 11:02 pm

It is my favorite place on earth (but that may have something to do with sentiment). I ended up baking two batches, one with raspberries and the other with blackberries. My kitchen smells amazing and they’re scrumptious. Check out their website at http://www.savannahbee.com... They have 3 oz jars so commitment is not required. :)

Megan L March 12, 2012 at 12:56 pm

New reader to your blog- I see so many recipes that I must try!!! Thanks for your hard work and enthusiasm.

Kris March 19, 2012 at 10:28 am

Welcome and thank you!

jo @ includingcake March 20, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I found this recipe really inspiring…so much so that i made my own version that I posted today (credit to you of course). Thank you. :-)

Kris March 20, 2012 at 5:04 pm

So happy I could inspire you. Your adaptation looks great! The photos are beautiful too. Thanks!

Duangpon J. April 17, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I need recipe of 1000 pcs. bake honey oatmeal with rasberries &pitstochio

Kris April 17, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Wow, That’s a lot of oatmeal! Why do you need so many? I sent you an e-mail with my conversions. This recipe calculator is very helpful for scaling a recipe: http://www.fruitfromwashington.com/Recipes/scale/recipeconversions.php

Good luck with all that baking!

Matmedmera May 30, 2012 at 4:06 am

Very nice dessert!

Cat May 31, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Made these today. Thank you for including vegan options in so many of your recipes.

I love that this is a portable breakfast, first of all, and that it makes oatmeal a little more interesting. The pistachios are really the highlight here. Next time I make these I will add more because I personally love nuts! What a great snack or healthy breakfast.

The recipe could not be easier or low-maintenance. Two dirty dishes? Frak yes!

Kris May 31, 2012 at 5:05 pm

You’re welcome! So many dishes can be made vegan so simply so I like to include different options so people on special diets can enjoy just the same. Portable breakfasts are huge in my house. We’re always running out the door for one reason or another so it’s nice to have a little nourishment on the way. And I hate doing dishes, so the less I have to clean the better! :)

Corrie Anne June 11, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Oh. Those look AWESOME!!!!!!

marla June 27, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Love these little baked oatmeal cups :)

nicole June 29, 2012 at 11:10 am

Ohhh these look beautiful and sound delish! I’m going to make them with whole milk though because fat is good.

Rachel July 19, 2012 at 11:24 am

Have you ever tried these with steel cut oats instead of regular rolled oats? I was just trying to decide how to change the liquid to oats ratio to accommodate it!

Rita August 10, 2012 at 12:55 am

These look fabulous, I’m making these tomorrow. Please tell me how you cream honey?

Kris August 10, 2012 at 6:46 am

I bought creamed honey at the farmer’s market. You should be able to find it at the grocery store as well. Its thicker and almost white in color. If you can’t find it you could use normal honey as well.

debra September 8, 2012 at 7:29 pm

just put these in the oven and they look fab!love all the good good things that are in these muffins,love to have something to grab in the morning after getting ready for work,all is good for you as well,thanks for sharing!

Debra Mulnick September 15, 2012 at 9:31 pm

You don’t say what the creamy topping is. Yogurt? Something else drizzled on top?
These are wonderful. I made them once with cut up fresh just ripe pears. LOVE these!

Kris September 15, 2012 at 9:58 pm

So glad you like them! The creamy topping in the photo is creamed honey. :)

Rachel September 30, 2012 at 5:40 pm

These sound delicious! Are you able to freeze them?

Kris September 30, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Yes you can! I’ll freeze the batter in a muffin tin and once they’re frozen I pop them out and store them in a container in the freezer. That way if you only want one, you can pop one back in the muffin tin and bake.

Sheila November 15, 2012 at 6:58 am

This is the best baked oatmeal that I have ever had! Thanks for the recipe.

Lucy February 3, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I really like this recipe.
I have not read all comments but would like to add that putting the bowl with liquid ingredients including honey on the back left burner of the stove while the oven heats to soften the honey really helps to get it well blended through the oatmeal. I used vanilla almond milk one time and the extra vanilla was nice too.
You can also bake on the top rack to add crisp to the top.
These are nice made in tart tins too.