Healthy Black Forest Baked Oatmeal

by Kris on February 12, 2012

I recently read an article which stated that people who ate dessert for breakfast had less cravings throughout the day and they actually lost more weight than those who swore off sweets completely.

When I read this I immediately began thinking about Valentine’s day desserts I could transform into breakfast. Chocolate covered strawberries, red velvet cake, chocolate mouse. The possibilities were endless.

After having great luck with baked oatmeal, I thought it would lend itself well to other dessert flavours. I adore the combination of bitter chocolate and sweet cherries so I decided on making black forest cake baked oatmeal.

These little cakes are incredible. It took about five minutes to throw together and the flavour combination is my favourite yet! They are healthy, low fat, vegan, and have no added sugar. They are also portable which is perfect for those busy mornings. I topped mine with a cherry and thick cream which made them so decadent! (Also perfect for breakfast in bed, especially on February 14th)

Healthy Black Forest Baked Oatmeal

• 1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
  • ½ cup applesauce
  • ½ cup fat free milk (or dairy free milk, to make vegan)
  • ¾ cup pitted cherries (fresh or frozen)
  • ½ Tsp. vanilla extract
  • ¼ cup chocolate chips
  • 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
  • 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 375

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.

Spray a muffin tin with cooking oil. Fill the tin to the top with oats. It should make about six – eight oatmeal cakes.

Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. For a light crust, broil for an additional 3-5 minutes until lightly browned.

Serve on it’s own or with fresh fruit, yogurt, or milk.

Baker Bettie February 12, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Wow this sounds really delicious and healthy! Looks so pretty too!

kalamckala February 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Ooooh interesting. I was hooked upon reading the words “baked oatmeal”. And National Black Forest Cake Day is upon us…maybe this will be my holiday contribution.

Jessica February 12, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I’m on a major cherry kick right now – I made sour cherry crisp last night (from cherries I froze this past summer) and I have some leftover cherries looking for a home. These sound ah-may-zing! I’ll have to try them soon. I always have a savory breakfast but a sweet snack afterward, so these (in mini muffin form) would be a yummy mid-morning treat. Thanks for the great recipe!

Brinda Berry (@Brinda_Berry) February 12, 2012 at 8:26 pm

OH MY! My mouth is watering just looking at the picture.

Just A Smidgen February 12, 2012 at 11:16 pm

What a gorgeous photo.. the cream pouring over the black cherry. A very tempting recipe as well.. and it’s healthy! Awesome!

veggieamore February 13, 2012 at 8:42 pm

This is so creative, and I love that you can eat it on the go. I totally second your thoughts on dessert for breakfast. What a great way to start the day with something sweet to make you smile and it’s so healthy too! <3

Tamsin February 17, 2012 at 9:18 am

These look gorg! Just wondering – how long do they keep for? And do they stay moist or I don’t even have to worry because they will be gobbled up before I have to think about it?!

Kris February 17, 2012 at 9:46 am

Thank you! I usually make a double batch on Monday with the hopes of having breakfast all week but they’re usually gone by Wednesday. I keep them in the fridge and they stay moist. One way to ensure they last a while is to freeze the batter in the muffin tins, pop them out when they’re frozen, and then keep them in a freezer bag until you are ready to have one. Just slip it back in the muffin tin (as many or as few as you need) and bake them for about 5 minutes longer than directed.

Javelin Warrior February 17, 2012 at 9:34 am

Kris, I’m in love with this baked oatmeal! The color and texture is incredible and I love that you managed to make this healthful… I have featured this post in today’s Friday Food Fetish roundup. Let me know if you have any objections and thanks for the inspiration

Kris February 17, 2012 at 9:46 am

Thank you! So glad I could inspire! :)

Renata February 17, 2012 at 2:25 pm

This was so delicious! I don’t really like oatmeal but I know it’s good for me so I keep trying to find ways to eat it, and this worked! I didn’t have cherries or chocolate chips so I substituted blueberries and a little brown sugar and it was awesome!

Jessica February 26, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I just made these with a few little substitutions – and they’re delicious! I made them in my mini muffin tin so I don’t feel badly when I eat two…or three….

Thanks for the great recipe!

Caitlin February 28, 2012 at 10:16 am

wow- what a delicious take on baked oatmeal! it’s like a healthy breakfast dessert. i love that picture with the milk getting drizzled on top. and the cherry on top- adorable!

Kris February 28, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Thanks! My day always seems better when I start it with dessert for breakfast.

Emily March 7, 2012 at 10:11 pm

This looks awesome! I have to ask though, might you be able to suggest an easy to find substitute for chia seeds? I’m not sure I’ve seen them at my grocery store.

Kris March 8, 2012 at 10:26 am

You can leave the chia seeds out if you wish. They don’t really affect the flavor, they just add extra protein and fiber. If you want to give them a try, you should be able to find them at your local health food store. They look similar to poppy seeds, but they are a little pricey. What I love about them though, is that you can throw them into almost anything, from smoothies to baked goods, and they add extra health benefits without changing the taste.

joanna March 14, 2012 at 12:25 pm

These are quickly becoming my favorite portable treat. I’ve used chopped dried fruit when I lack fresh/frozen and just increased the vanilla almond milk a bit. Delicious! Thanks for the inspiration. joanna

Kris March 19, 2012 at 9:57 am

I’m so glad! Thanks for the tip on the dried fruit, it’s something I’ve been meaning to test.

Christy July 17, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Thank you Thank you Thank you for this recipe! I make a double or triple batch and freeze them uncooked. I eat them at least 3 times a week for breakfast. I made them with bananas the other day instead of the cherries, they were fantastic!!

Thank you!!!!!! :)

amy December 8, 2012 at 3:05 pm

These are delicious! I have two kids that I need to get out of the house and breakfast is lucky to be 5 min. These are perfect healthy to go breakfast snacks I added a little flax seed too!