Lavender Lemonade

by Kris on March 19, 2012

Congratulations to Claire who won a shiny new retro kitchen timer from my very first giveaway! Claire is looking forward to asparagus this spring. Thank you to everyone who participated. I loved reading your comments on what you are most excited for this spring. Many of you can’t wait to get your hands dirty and start your gardens, while others are excited for farmer’s markets, sunny days, bike rides, trips, as well as memorable events like graduating from college and having a child!

Spring is my favourite time of year. There is so much excitement surrounding the season, and the additional hour of sunlight adds an extra bounce to my step. I’m probably also biased, as I celebrate a spring birthday.

Like many of you, this spring I am very excited for fresh blooms, warm weather, and starting our very first garden! Many factors have prevented us from starting a garden in the past, some of which are our lack of gardening space in our apartment complex and more importantly my brown thumb.

Greg, however, seems to have inherited a green thumb from his mother, who grows most of her own fruits and vegetables. Back in February, Greg began germinating seeds indoors (many of which died). He persevered, and before we knew it there were jalapeno plants growing out of our ears! He has about twenty little planters lined up against our apartment, all of which contain tiny little sprouts for vegetables, herbs, catnip, and lavender.

I can’t wait until I have my own little herb garden at my disposal. Not only will it be convenient to just pop outside and grab a tablespoon of basil at a moments notice, but it will save a lot of money on our grocery bill!

What I am most excited for is the lavender. It smells so nice and I can harvest it to use in cooking and craft projects. I have some fabric just waiting be turned into a scented satchel. A few weeks ago I purchased some dried lavender at a local health food store and I’ve been dying to experiment with it. Seeing that lemons are in their prime, and that the southern humidity has arrived a little early, I thought nothing would be better than a tall glass of lavender lemonade!

Adding lavender gives your lemonade a beautiful pink colour without all the added food coloring and preservatives found in the store bought variety. It also adds a delicious floral flavor that perfectly complements spring. Enjoy!

Do you have any tips for gardening in small spaces? I’d love to hear them!

Lavender Lemonade

• 2 Tbsp. dried lavender (make sure it’s for culinary use)
    ½ cup sugar
    2 ½ cups water
    3 lemons, juiced
    2 cups water

In a medium pot combine 2 ½ cups of water with sugar and lavender. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Cover, and let stand one hour.

Strain out the lavender with a sieve and place liquid in a large jug. Add lemon juice and additional water, stir well.

Refrigerate until cold. Serve with ice cubes.

serves 4-6

Terra March 19, 2012 at 9:37 am

I am excited to try lavender and rose water this year, this would be so fun to make! This really is beautiful:-) Take care, Terra

Kris March 19, 2012 at 9:40 am

Thanks! Experimenting with florals in the kitchen is so much fun. I can’t stop thinking about the endless possibilities

Ann from Sumptuous Spoonfuls March 19, 2012 at 9:46 am

Just pinned this to the Best Food Blogger Recipes board on Pinterest! Such beautiful lemonade :)

Kris March 19, 2012 at 10:01 am

Thanks so much! (p.s I have to try your chocolate peanut butter granola, it’s seriously calling my name!)

Freddi March 19, 2012 at 11:12 am

Great spring post! I can’t wait to have my own garden either, me and my partner have applied for an allotment, and trying to find a place with a little patch of grass where we can grow at least something. I have parsley and basil growing on my window sill at the moment, even the colour of them both is such a joy. Love the Lavender lemonade, it looks beautiful, nicely photographed.

Kris March 19, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Thanks! Good luck with allotment! That will be so much better than having little pots like I have. Maybe next year Greg and I will give that a try.

Ally March 19, 2012 at 11:16 am

What a cool idea…I’m doing things w/lavender and roses, so this is something new! I’ve done cheesecake w/lavender, cheesecake w/roses, and just did a lavender simple syrup recently to use as a drizzle on a ‘Bessboussa’ cake! If you don’t know Karen Toochek of ‘Crystallized Flower Company’…she’s on FB, then you’ll enjoy seeing her many edible flowers, etc.! Ally :)

Kris March 19, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Thanks for that, Ally! Karen has some beautiful stuff. Your lavender cheesecake sounds great too.

Melissa Placzek March 19, 2012 at 12:04 pm

This is gorgeous! Can’t wait to try it :)

~Melissa

Kris March 19, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Thank you!

Stephanie March 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm

That looks so beautiful and refreshing! I cannot wait to have a little herb garden again once the weather gets nice

Kris March 19, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Thanks Stephanie! I’m hoping all the rain we’re getting right now will give my garden a little boost.

Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) March 19, 2012 at 4:04 pm

what an awesomely beautiful recipe! love it!

Kris March 19, 2012 at 8:18 pm

myfudo March 20, 2012 at 3:26 am

Spring reminds me of beautiful things…just like this post. Subtle, sweet and pretty…=)

Aly March 20, 2012 at 8:45 am

can’t wait to have lavender in my garden again. Love to put lavender in with anything chocolate!

Rhonda March 20, 2012 at 11:28 am

What a beautiful sipping drink, I’d love a glass right now!

Ashly March 20, 2012 at 12:06 pm

This is absoulty wonderful !!!!!!

Mandiee March 20, 2012 at 5:38 pm

wow, this lemonade looks gorgeous! Lemonade was always my favorite summertime drink growing up, so I’m excited about this new spin on an old classic. I’m definitely bookmarking it for summer gatherings!

Kris March 21, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Thank you! For a large group, I would probably double the recipe. It tends to disappear fast ;)

Sarah March 20, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I love lavender…especially with lemon! Thanks for the idea – I’ll pair it with some lavender cupcakes:)

Kris March 21, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Yum! great idea!

Maria B. March 21, 2012 at 3:42 am

This looks so pretty. Making it as soon as the sun decides to grace us with his presence :)
Oh and btw: Where did you get those cow glasses from? My parents had them when I was little and I have no idea where to buy them and neither do they.

Kris March 21, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Thanks! I found the cow glasses at world market. They also had matching decanters.

Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf March 21, 2012 at 6:19 am

This is lovely! It makes me want to be sitting at the beach or at a backyard bbq right now. My kids love lemonade, so I’m going to make this. Thanks!

Kris March 21, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Thank you! Oh, what I would do for a beach right now… I’d top the lemonade with a mini umbrella and soak up this warm sun. :)

Brittany March 21, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I just had some lavender lemonade at a small cafe in Pittsburgh last night – it’s so good! I was really surprised!

Kris March 21, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Totally! It’s a nice change from the usual lemonade.

Javelin Warrior March 22, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I’ve never had lavender in anything, but it adds such a beautiful color to the lemonade and I love this combination! I am featuring this post in today’s Friday Food Fetish roundup (with a link-back and attribution), but please let me know if you have any objections. It’s a pleasure following your creations…

Jen March 24, 2012 at 11:02 pm

That looks great. I still have some “leftover” lavender from my baking experiments with lavender and I am still not sure whether I love them or whether I should give them up….:-)

Kris March 26, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Lavender has a strong flavor, but it works really well paired with lemon. Don’t give up lavender just yet!

Fahad Khan (@PharaohKhan) April 3, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I would so much love to have a herb garden as well!Rather,would love to have small pots of herbs on the kitchen windowsill,just the way they show in some TV cooking programs.:-) Unfortunately,the only small window in my kitchen does not open,is not sun facing,so I have grown some herbs – Sage,Curry Leaves outside.
The lemonade looks refreshing,the color and lavender,just remind me of spring!I am going to bookmark/note down this!
Thank you lots for sharing and great luck for your herb garden!:-)

Kris April 5, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Thanks! Our garden is starting to really take off! It’s only a matter of weeks now until I can start using the herbs. Good luck with your garden as well!

Niki May 16, 2012 at 9:06 am

I put lavender and mint in my tea every summer. I make a huge serving jug for the counter top and my 5 kids never ask for soda. My friends think it’s amazing. I also make a lemonade/meadow tea mix but put the mint and lavender in also. It is an amazingly refreshing drink and also really nice with a little vodka in it for after the kids go to bed. Enjoy!

Kris May 16, 2012 at 10:28 am

Great suggestions Niki! I’ll have to try it next time with mint. Sounds refreshing!

Maia June 8, 2012 at 9:08 am

Heavenly! This reminds me I need to plant lavender this year!

holly August 17, 2012 at 7:07 pm

looks beautiful, cant wait to try it today!