Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Kris on April 4, 2012

Yesterday not one, not two, but twelve tornadoes hit the Dallas Fort-Worth metroplex. I’m sure many of you by now have seen footage on the news of the dark funnel clouds, the flattened houses, or even the tractor trailers being lifted into the air like feathers. It was a terrifying day for many North Texans and it is truly miraculous that nobody died and so few were injured. My thoughts are with those who were injured by the storm and have lost their homes and businesses.

My day began fairly uneventful. After breakfast, Greg took off to run some errands and I pulled out my camera equipment to photograph these vegan cookies. I had the tv on in the background and overheard a tornado watch had been issued. I didn’t think too much of it, but not knowing where Greg had gone, I texted him to warn him of the possible severe weather. Less than ten minutes later, the tornado watch turned into a warning, and there was news footage of a large tornado ripping through Tarrant County. I told Greg to come home as soon as possible and decided I needed a distraction in the meantime. I began to photograph the cookies sitting on my kitchen table. I took about twelve photos before tornado sirens began to sound at which point I moved to the bathtub to wait for Greg to get home.

When he finally arrived, I had packed a bag and was ready to go to campus with him. Our building is not the best place to be when a tornado hits, so the quick drive to SMU tends to be our first choice. The sky was almost black and sirens sounded all around us. We quickly rushed into the basement of the economics department where there were hundreds of students evacuated to these underground hallways. I distracted myself by editing the cookie photos and reading a book. We stayed in the basement for much of the day, as each hour seemed to bring more sirens and evacuations.

I am so thankful that none of the tornadoes hit our neighbourhood and we were able to go home to our warm beds at the end of the day.

On a happier note, today is my birthday! I plan on eating lots of cookies, cake and spending time with my loved ones. Days like yesterday really make you appreciate what you have.

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 1 cup all purpose flour
  • ½ cup whole wheat flour
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • ½ tsp. baking soda
  • ¼ cup earth balance
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 flax egg (1 tbsp. ground flax seeds with 3 tbsp. water)
  • 2 tbsp. almond milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, sift together all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.

Place earth balance and olive oil in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, whip for about one minute until smooth. Add sugars and continue to blend with the electric mixer for 1-2 minutes until fluffy. Add flax egg, almond milk, and vanilla extract; blend for about 30 seconds until well combined.

Slowly blend the dry mixture into the wet mixture by hand, just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour.

Scoop one tablespoon of cookie dough and form into ball. Place on the prepared cookie sheet and lightly press down on the dough to flatten.

Bake for 8-10 minutes until edges begin to brown. Cool for five minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.

Yield 12 cookies

Freddi April 4, 2012 at 7:37 am

Glad to know you are ok! Must be terrifying! Enjoying your blog, one of my favourites :)

Kris April 5, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Thanks so much! I’m still adjusting to this tornado thing. It still terrifies me each time I hear those sirens.

Richa@HobbyandMore April 4, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Glad that you all are ok. Those cookies look yummylicious!

Kris April 5, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Thank you!

Marissa April 4, 2012 at 4:21 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MUNCHKIN!! May your wishes come true :)

Kris April 5, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Thanks hun! It was a pretty fantastic birthday!

lysa April 4, 2012 at 8:27 pm

mmmm…these look so soft and delicious!!

Kris April 5, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Thanks! The best part about vegan cookies is you can eat the dough raw!

VM April 5, 2012 at 9:11 am

Those look delish but Earth Balance is NOT healthy. Try using organic coconut oil instead, its amazing!

Kris April 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I’ve had mixed results using coconut oil in vegan cookies. To each their own. All oils are essentially “bad” for you, but in moderation you can still enjoy a cookie from time to time. Regardless if its butter, margarine, coconut oil or even just plain old lard. At least that’s my reasoning when it comes to food. :)

VM April 7, 2012 at 11:47 am

I agree in eating desserts moderation. I did not know that all fat was bad for you, I thought there were ‘bad’ fats (hydrogenated vegetable oils, lard) and ‘good’ fats (like flax, coconut and hemp oil, for example). Personally I do not try to avoid fat but I do avoid refined sugar and flour. I think i’ll try these cookies with raw honey and spelt flour instead, hopefully they will work out!

Kris April 7, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Some fats are better than others, but they all need to be eaten in moderation. Let me know how they work out with the honey and spelt flour!

Ali B April 6, 2012 at 10:19 am

They look delish! Belated happy birthday from Ireland. It was my birthday on the 3rd :-)

Kris April 6, 2012 at 10:53 am

Thank you! Happy belated birthday to you as well. :)

Corinne April 8, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Congratulations! We nominated you for a Liebster award! Briefly it is an award/ chain letter. We gave you a shout out on our site and now you are suppose to find five blogs that you like and provide a link to them. And maybe a link to us too. No pressure. This is what we wrote: http://hennacornoelidays.wordpress.com/

Ali @ Around the VeggieTable April 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I am a little late because I just found your blog but A) Happy Birthday! B) So glad you and your family are safe :) Love your blog and these cookies look wonderful!

Kathryn August 27, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Hello,

I just have to say, this recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies is by far the BEST I have ever tasted! I have tried many other recipes and this one is so yummy and so much like non-vegan chocolate chip cookies!! Thanks for sharing!