Cashew Cream

by Kris on April 12, 2012

Experimenting with a dairy free diet has been a lot of fun and now that I have a food processor again, the fun has just started! Dairy replacements are often expensive, full of additives, lack protein and are typically made of soy. If you have cut dairy out of your life for health reasons, the last thing you want to do is replace it with something processed and worse for your body. There are a lot of good options on the market, but it’s important to check the label to see what the ingredients are. When it comes to soy based products try to pick one that is fully organic. Personally I prefer nut milks over soy ones as they tend to be more nutritious and I find they taste better. Nut based milks are also much better to cook with as the fat content allows it to act like dairy when heated.

Making your own vegan creams, milks, and cheeses are surprisingly simple to make at home and cost a fraction of the price. Cashew cream is ideal for cooking and baking as cashews have a higher fat content than almonds and the flavour is fairly neutral unlike coconut milk. The best part is that it only takes two ingredients to make, and it takes very little work if you have a high quality blender or food processor. The most difficult part about making cashew cream is waiting for the nuts to absorb the water. If you plan ahead and soak them overnight, this recipe is very hassle free.

If you don’t own a high quality food processor, you may want to strain the milk through cheesecloth after it has finished processing. This will help the consistency of the cream and remove any remaining solids.

There are so many uses for cashew cream, the possibilities are endless. You can use it on it’s own as a dairy free creamer in your coffee, reducing the water and adding vanilla extract will give you a thick and creamy vegan whipped cream, or you can even cook with it and make a delicious vegan fettucine alfredo (stay tuned for a recipe).

I also plan on experimenting with a vegan cream pie, featuring my favourite Canadian sweetener. Can you guess what it is? My aunt sent my mum one of these pies the other night and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it since! Crossing my fingers that it works, because this liquid gold is pricey down here!

Have you ever made your own nut milk? What are your favourite recipes for cashew cream?

Cashew Cream

• 2 cups raw cashews
  • water

Place cashews in a fine colander or sieve and rinse under cold water for one minute. Transfer cashews to a sealable container and add just enough water to cover the nuts completely, approximately 2 ½ – 3 cups. Refrigerate overnight.

Strain cashews and rinse under cold water in a sieve. Transfer the cashews to the bowl of a food processor and add enough water to cover the cashews by one inch. Process for a minimum of 5 minutes until the liquid is smooth and creamy. For a thicker cream, use half the amount of water.

Depending on the quality of your food processor, you may need to strain the cashew cream through a fine sieve lined with cheese cloth to remove any sediment from the liquid.

Store in the refrigerator for up to four days or in the freezer for up to three months. Before using, pulse it through a food processor or blender to ensure it is well mixed.

Stephanie April 12, 2012 at 5:02 pm

This is so cool! I just got an awesome food processor and I’m going to put it to work with this recipe. I can eat dairy (and love it) but I’d love to try baking with this cream in my breads

Kris April 13, 2012 at 12:04 am

Oh awesome! I love my new food processor. I don’t know how I lived for months without one. If you use it in a bread recipe I’d love to know how it turns out for you!

Cookie and Kate April 12, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Is this the stuff that spilled all over your kitchen? It looks great!

Kris April 13, 2012 at 12:00 am

It sure is, these pictures are the few I managed to capture before spilling it all over the set. I actually ended up spilling it a second time not long after I commented on your site. The second time I was shaking it up in a plastic container and the lid flew off and it covered me head to toe, no joke. What makes it even worse is I had just changed out of my sweats into real clothes! I love cashew cream, but I don’t think it loves me back. lol

Rebekah April 13, 2012 at 10:47 am

How delicious! I eat a dairy-inclusive diet, but this looks wonderful. I’m a huge fan of almond milk, and didn’t know that you could get the same kind of liquid using cashews – especially not homemade. Thanks for the great idea!

Kris April 13, 2012 at 10:56 am

Thanks! Cashew milk is pretty expensive at stores. Making your own costs a fraction of the price and nothing tastes as good as homemade. You can essentially make nut milk using this method for almost all nuts. I’ll be giving almond milk a try soon.

Joanne April 14, 2012 at 11:14 am

Out of curiosity, do you know how much more liquid you would need to add to make it into a milk consistency? My husband is very lactose intolerant, but he loves his dairy! I’m tempted to try this and see if he’ll accept it as a milk substitute.

Kris April 14, 2012 at 11:19 am

I would start by adding a 1/4 cup of water and add more if it’s still too thick. You can do the same with almonds as well. If you’re also looking for dairy free cheese, I’ve found that almond cheese taste the best and it actually melts unlike many other varieties. Good luck to your husband, cutting out dairy can be difficult at first. Once you find the replacements you like though, it gets a lot easier.

CJ at Food Stories April 14, 2012 at 4:45 pm

It’s been awhile but I used to make nut milk all the time. I prefer cashews because with my vita-mix I don’t have to strain. It’s very easy.

Annemarie April 15, 2012 at 11:30 am

La hice ayer, fantástica receta. Gracias

Melanie Pickus May 15, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Could you post a few recipes that you use this in? That would be awesome, thanks!

Kris May 15, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Melanie, beneath the comments you’ll find 6 links/trackbacks to my recipes that use cashew cream. Vegan fettucine alfredo, Elotes, and Meyer Lemon bars are just a few I can name. If you type cashew cream into the search bar on my site, it will also show you all the recipes that use cashew cream. Hope that helps!

Lorelei May 21, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Thanks for this! I had never heard of it before I saw the fettuccine recipe. My boyfriend is lactose intolerant and I think normal fettuccine is too rich for me, so I made the cream today (and last night) and am going to make the pasta dish on Wednesday. I’m thinking it’s going to be a regular part of our meal planning!

Tricia October 4, 2012 at 10:11 am

Hi Kris, do you think I would be better off using a vita-mix or a cuisinart? Tried almond creamer but it doesn’t have a lot of creaminess to it for my coffe, or now dandy blend. Love experimenting, thanks for your posts. Looking forward to looking at more of your posts.

Best, Tricia

Kris October 4, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I just used my cuisinart and it worked fine, but if you have a vitamix give it a try. You may not have to blend it as long. Hope you like it!