Sundried Tomato Hummus

by Kris on April 18, 2012

I went a little crazy with my food processor over the weekend. On Saturday I spent so much time making dips, spreads, nut butters and milks that when dinner time came around, I was exhausted. Greg and I made a platter of all the dips I’d whipped up with sliced veggies, crackers and French bread and had an appetizer dinner. It was a lot of fun to have so many varieties of food in one meal. I’m also a big condiment junkie, so this was right up my alley. What I enjoyed the most about our dinner was the communal aspect.

In many cultures, a meal is shared on one large platter without individual plates. Often a form of bread like roti or naan is used in place of utensils. Dinners like this emphasize a sense of community and togetherness. This is one of the reasons I love Middle Eastern, West Indian and Ethiopian food so much. It’s a great option for a large group as you all bond over shared food.

From all the varieties of dips I created on Saturday, the sun dried tomato hummus was by far my favorite. It was tart and creamy with a mild roasted garlic undertone. I also made a hummus with kalamata olives which was a close contender. To make an olive hummus, follow the recipe below, but sub in kalamata olives instead of sun dried tomatoes.

What are your favorite add ins for hummus?

Sundried Tomato Hummus

• 1 15oz can garbanzo beans
  • 2 cloves roasted garlic
  • 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
  • ¼ cup tahini
  • 3 tbsp. olive oil
  • ½ tsp. sesame oil
  • juice from ½ lemon
  • 2 tbsp. pine nuts (optional)
  • ½ tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 tbsp. water
  • 3 tbsp. sundried tomatoes packed in oil

In a food processor combine garbanzo beans, roasted and fresh garlic, tahini, olive oil, sesame oil, lemon juice, pine nuts, paprika, salt and water. Pulse until smooth.

Add sundried tomatoes and process 1-2 minutes until well combined and smooth.

Stephanie April 18, 2012 at 3:55 pm

All these food processor recipes are coming at the perfect time for me! I just got my first food processor and I’m all about whipping things up in it right now. Yesterday I grated a whole block of cheese in it in about 5 seconds. Magic!

I have two containers of hummus in my fridge that I’m eating like a fiend so that I can finally make some homemade stuff. Pinning your recipe for later!

Kris April 18, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Mine was just replaced so I’ve been a little obsessed with using it. haha. I haven’t grated cheese with mine yet, but I have a block of almond cheese just waiting to be pulverized. I’ll have another food processor recipe this Friday, but it’s a dessert! :)

Natalie April 18, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I’m obsessed with hummus – I make it all the time and seem to always be trying a new flavour because there are just so many options to try! My favourites so far are beet hummus and buffalo wing hummus .. Sundried tomato may have to be next on the ‘to make’ list!

Kris April 18, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Oh yum! Do beets replace the chickpeas in your beet hummus, Natalie? Or do you add beets to the mix? I’d love to give it a try!

Deborah April 19, 2012 at 10:27 am

That is my favorite kind of dinner – full of apps!! This dip sounds amazing – definitely want to try it!

Kris April 19, 2012 at 10:35 am

Thanks Deborah!

Katie {Epicurean Mom} April 19, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I absolutely agree! Sun dried tomato humus is definitely my fave! I also love roasted red pepper. Love your adaption! Mmmmmmm!

Kris April 22, 2012 at 9:16 am

Thanks Katie! Roasted red pepper is a good one. That may be my next batch. I can never get enough hummus, thankfully it’s cheap and easy to make!

Courtney Rae Jones April 19, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I’ve tried so many versions of hummus, but i’ve never tried one with sun dried tomatoes. What a great flavour combination! I adore sun dried tomatoes. Great post! :) Love your blog!
Beautiful photos!!!

Loralee June 4, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I only have a bag of sun-dried tomatoes, which I had assumed I’d just have to soak in water for a while. What is your suggestion for the easiest way to substitute those into your recipe? (I guess I could soak them in H2o for awhile, then in EVOO, but I’m lazy…)

Kris June 4, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I would rehydrate them in boiling water and then soak in olive oil for about 10-20 minutes.

Loralee June 7, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Thanks, Kris, for the advice…