Vegan Cake Batter Ice Cream

by Kris on May 14, 2012

This month has been full of birthday parties and barbecues. It definitely feels like summer has begun! Friday and Saturday night we went to a barbecue to celebrate a friends birthday. Both we’re incredibly fun and filled with delicious food and great conversations. Since both were potlucks, I brought these chocolate chip cookies on Friday night and made Beans Hawaiian for Saturday. Both we’re huge hits!

I also tried something new this weekend. I finally gave in and tried the frozen banana ice cream trick. Now I’m wondering why I waited so long! I wanted to bring a batch of this cake batter ice cream to one of the potlucks, but I didn’t want to share thought it would melt before arriving at the party.

If you’ve never tried this frozen banana trick, run to the kitchen now! You don’t need an ice cream maker or a lot of time on your hands, just a few frozen bananas and a food processor. It tastes just like soft serve ice cream, but it’s healthy, vegan and incredibly easy to whip up. The first batch I made was based on a chocolate peanut butter cup. I mixed some peanut butter, cocoa powder, and agave with the bananas and added a bit of protein powder since I had just returned from the gym. It was delicious and exactly what I needed to cool down after a long run.

Greg is not a fan of chocolate, so I wanted to make a vanilla based flavor he would enjoy. With all the birthday celebrations this month, funfetti cake batter was the first flavor that came to mind. Many cake batter ice cream recipes call for a box of cake mix. I find this a little strange, so I didn’t want to go that route. I also wanted to keep it vegan and gluten free so more people could enjoy this summer treat.

After blending the bananas to a smooth and creamy consistency, I began experimenting with extracts. I started with vanilla and slowly added some maple and almond extract. The flavor was close, but not quite right. It still lacked that baked good taste. I added some butter extract (which is vegan oddly enough) and it made all the difference. It began to really taste like cake batter, but it was still missing that slight kick of raw batter. I experimented with a few additions and decided that a small amount of baking soda was what it needed.

When Greg arrived home he immediately came into the kitchen and excitedly asked me if I was baking a cake. That’s how I knew it was a success. Before he even saw or tasted my ice cream, he could smell cake batter! Greg was in disbelief how accurate the flavor was and how the texture was identical to soft serve ice cream. We devoured the first batch in a matter of minutes! I made a second batch to keep in the freezer for a hot Texas day.

I also made a few vegan ice cream sandwiches by adding a scoop of this cake batter ice cream between two vegan chocolate chip cookies. They were phenomenal! I honestly don’t know if I’ll ever buy ice cream again, now that I can make such a delicious and healthy option at home so easily. I can’t wait to experiment with more flavors! The possibilities are endless.

Have you tried the frozen banana ice cream trick before? What’s your favorite flavor combination?

Vegan Cake Batter Ice Cream

• 5 frozen bananas
  • 2 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp. butter extract
  • ¼ tsp. almond extract
  • ¼ tsp. maple extract (optional)
  • ¼ tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tbsp. agave or maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp. sprinkles

In a food processor, process frozen bananas until smooth.

Add extracts, baking soda, and agave and pulse until combined. Add sprinkles and pulse once or twice just to combine.

Serve immediately or store in the freezer.

If eaten immediately the consistency is of soft serve ice cream. If frozen, the consistency will be more similar to store bought ice cream.

Try making a vegan ice cream sandwich by putting one scoop of ice cream between two vegan chocolate chip cookies.

Serves 3-4

Amanda L. (Tales from a Kitchen Misfit) May 14, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I know about the frozen banana trick but haven’t tried it yet. I’m glad that it is so versatile!! I’ve made cake batter ice cream before but not veganized! This really sounds amazing!

Kris May 14, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Thanks Amanda! You have to give it a try! I was honestly shocked at how well it worked.

Courtney Rae Jones May 14, 2012 at 5:08 pm

This sounds amazing! I have some bananas in my fruit bowl right now. Hmmm…may have to make this tonight :)

Rosabel May 14, 2012 at 5:08 pm

OMG! I have to try this out! Looks delicious!!
I see you use maple extract. I think using Pure Maple Syrup (espectially Organic) would make a difference and bring this unique sweet taste that we know for maple syrup.

Monique May 14, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Kris! This sounds amazing. I love healthy treats. Would love to sandwich this between a graham cracker!

Kris May 16, 2012 at 8:47 am

Thanks Monique! Great idea! Or maybe funfetti cookies?

Jaclyn E. May 15, 2012 at 7:56 am

this looks amazing! ;) Do you think you’d be interested in submitted your photos to my food gallery site: http://www.healthfreakfood.tumblr.com it’s fast growing and features many beautiful photos of healthy, fresh, whole food dishes such as yours.

Kris May 16, 2012 at 8:45 am

Thanks Jaclyn! I’ll check it out. :)

Jeanine May 15, 2012 at 3:25 pm

yum! I’m intrigued by this :)

Kris May 16, 2012 at 8:43 am

Thanks Jeanine!

Laurie May 16, 2012 at 6:43 am

Just curious – why the baking soda? I might have missed it in the post.

Kris May 16, 2012 at 8:43 am

I find cake batter always has a slight tang to it. The baking soda adds that to the ice cream.

Laurie May 16, 2012 at 8:46 am

Oh, nice! Thanks for the reply.

Natalie May 16, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I love making banana soft serve! I usually keep it simple with just some peanut butter or even plain, but occasionally I like to experiment – I made a mint chocolate version last summer with cocoa powder and fresh mint that was really good! Your cake batter version looks amazing – I’ve never heard of butter extract though, I’ll have to keep an eye out for it!

gina May 17, 2012 at 8:33 am

I went to a sushi dinner party and so I added ginger, vanilla, Chinese five spice, and maple syrup. my bananas weren’t frozen enough so it was a little more like pudding, but still delicious. I also like Mexican chocolate, so I made popsicles. I started with a little almonds milk (I just blend almonds and water so it’s more like a cream) added bananas, coco powder, cayenne, cinnamon, and a little maple syrup. What I didn’t eat right away made it into popsicle molds. They were like a Mexican chocolate fudgesicle.

Kris May 17, 2012 at 9:11 am

Great ideas Gina! I made a Mexican cocoa mix over Christmas and thought of adding it to a milkshake, but I love your idea of popsicles!

Keslie May 17, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe!! I was just wondering today where I could get vegan cake batter ice cream — this looks so easy, I must try soon. And butter extract, who knew? :)

Tor May 18, 2012 at 12:44 pm

This looks incredibly good! I’ve never tried cake batter-flavoured anything – the boxed cake mixes were always what put me off. Definitely going to give the sandwich idea a go.

Luna May 19, 2012 at 6:58 am

This is going on our list! We love bananas and this looks super easy.

Crystal June 1, 2012 at 2:55 pm

What brand of butter extract do you use that is vegan?

Kris June 1, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I used Wilton butter extract. Not sure if other brands are vegan though so it’s safe to double check first.

Amanda June 2, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Where did you find butter extract? With other extracts? Did you have to go to a specialty store?

Kris June 2, 2012 at 11:52 pm

I bought my butter extract at the grocery store, but if you can’t find it there I would try the baking section of Michaels.

Amanda June 3, 2012 at 11:20 am

Cool thanks

tiffany June 6, 2012 at 9:35 am

I made an awesome chunky monkey version of this icecream that was really good. add chocolate chips and some walnuts. I think you could make pretty much any icecream flavour with this….Ive seen it made into cookie dough as well, but i would love to make it into rocky road.

Lylybelle June 16, 2012 at 12:19 am

How ripe should the bananas be? I usually use them for banana bread & wait till they are black &
smooshy!

Kris June 16, 2012 at 8:08 am

It’s completely up to you. Personally I find the riper they are the more the ice cream tastes like bananas.

Taylor July 8, 2012 at 5:25 pm

This is my second shot at the banana ice cream. The first was mint and didn’t go well (peppermint extract was wayyyy too strong!) I just finished making this and holy cake batter! Some banana flavor still comes through, but it’s still so much better for you than either ice cream or FroYo AND it’s cheaper to make. This recipe is a keeper!

Alli July 25, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I was just wondering how long you had to store it and if the ice cream stayed with the consistency of ice cream even after freezing? I’d hate to make the whole batch for myself to eat over the course of a few days and find it frozen solid in the freezer or having lost its creaminess…

Alli

Tiffany November 19, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Sounds very good I’m going to try this this week! Not all sprinkles are vegan though so check ingredients!!