Creamy Avocado Green Tea Popsicles

by Kris on May 16, 2012

This year will be my first summer in Texas. I’ve always heard it gets unbearably hot, but figured it couldn’t be that bad since so many people still live here! Well, its only mid May and the temperatures are already exceeding the hottest summer days in Ottawa. I’m starting to get a little nervous. When it gets this hot out, all I want to eat are frozen treats. Ice cream, popsicles, smoothies, even frozen fruit… you name it, I want it!

My mind was blown when I finally discovered frozen banana ice cream. In two days I’ve already eaten through two batches of vegan cake batter ice cream. Completely out of bananas, I was on a frozen treat rampage looking for a fruit or vegetable that I could freeze. When I raided my produce drawer, I began to get discouraged. Then I looked over at Greg, the avocado loving Californian, who was about to make a sandwich.

That’s when it hit me, avocados! I grabbed the avocado out of his hands (something you never want to do to a Californian, they get cranky), and threw it in the food processor. I added some coconut milk, vanilla, agave nectar and matcha powder and pulsed it until a smooth pudding formed.

I was unsure if it would react the same way as bananas, so I put half in a container in the freezer as an experiment and divided the rest between two glasses. I’ve been on the hunt for popsicle moulds to no avail. I had no idea they were so hard to find! I’ve seen many popsicle machines, but I wasn’t about to waste money on a useless gadget. So I used glasses from my cupboard instead, which worked just as well.

I also didn’t have popsicle sticks so I hunted through the kitchen to find something equivalent. I had a choice between wooden BBQ skewers or paper straws. For aesthetic purposes I went with the straws. Popsicle sticks would be more ideal, but you gotta work with what you have.

After everything froze, I took the popsicles and the container out of the freezer. The mixture in the container was rock solid, so I discovered avocados do not work the same way as bananas. Live and learn.

The popsicles on the other hand were fantastic! The avocados and coconut milk made them so creamy and I loved the added flavor of green tea that the matcha powder provided. These popsicles are vegan, gluten free, and contain no refined sugar. That’s a lot more than what most store bought popsicles can say!

Is the heat making you crave frozen treats, or are you still dreaming of summer?

Creamy Green Tea Avocado Popsicles

• 3 avocados
  • 1 14 oz. can coconut milk
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp. matcha powder
  • 2 tbsp. agave nectar

In a food processor, pulse avocados and coconut milk until smooth.

Add vanilla extract, matcha powder, and agave and pulse until combined.

Divide mixture between four popsicle moulds and place in the freezer until frozen.

Serve frozen, on a bed of ice to stay cold.

*Note: If you don’t have popsicle moulds, you can pour the mixture between four glasses and place a popsicle stick or a solid straw in the center.

Yield 4 popsicles

KarmaFreeCooking May 16, 2012 at 9:08 am

cool idea… must try soon!!!! Thanks!

Kris May 16, 2012 at 10:27 am

Dixya May 16, 2012 at 10:10 am

this is my dream ice-cream!! btw where did you buy the matcha powder?

Kris May 16, 2012 at 10:27 am

Awesome! I bought the matcha powder at an Asian supermarket. You should also be able to find it in the international section of most grocery stores.

Desserts Sandy May 16, 2012 at 11:05 am

Wow my favorite fruit mix with my favorite type of food: ice cream! Looks so lovely, keep up the great work.

LorrieB May 16, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Nice! I’ve been experimenting with mesquite powder ( another of the superfoods) of late in my smoothies and so on. Gives things that “malted milk” kind of flavour. Might be worth a try in a frozen treat.

Eat Good 4 Life May 16, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Next time I get avocados I am going to make this no doubt as I love the consistency the avocado gives to the frozen popsicles. Great pictures!!

mightyvegan May 16, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Oh my, do these look fantastic! Your photography is beautiful.
I’m originally from New Orleans and I can relate to those hot summers. You will be needing these to get you through!

Kris May 16, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Thanks! Yeah that’s what I’m afraid of. So thankful for the invention of A/C!
p.s I love New Orleans!

Dee D. May 16, 2012 at 9:00 pm

the popsicles looks beautiful, and sound absolutely amazing, and calm and relaxed….haha, its a weird way to describe the popsicles, but that’s what it reminds me of :)

Courtney Rae Jones May 16, 2012 at 10:31 pm

What a great idea. These look delicious! I adore anything with avocado. When central Canada finally get warm temps, I’ll make these :)

Azora Aadam Rashad Abdullah Hoffman May 17, 2012 at 4:56 am

Missing: a dash of chili. I tried this recipe yesterday for our neighbors. They loved it. I made it a bit more spicy for them and I used Buffalo sugar instead. The children enjoyed it as well. My daughter said that it was too spicy and that it could probably burn off a birthmark. haha. I try to be hip and innovative with these recipes. We learned to eat spicier and more daring ingredients from our time spent in Phoenix, AZ. Sometimes my crazy recipes require medical attention afterwards. :-))

I love your blog!

Kris May 17, 2012 at 9:16 am

So glad you and your neighbours enjoyed it! I love spicy food too. I have a friend on the other hand who finds ketchup too spicy! So I try to keep recipes here on the neutral side. I love dipping the plantain chips in a mixture of green sauce (a trinidadian sauce made of culantro and shado beni) and scotch bonnet pepper sauce. Adds just the right amount of kick.

Keep up the spicy food love!

Vicky May 17, 2012 at 9:39 am

These sound delicious! Love that these are vegan gluten free and don’t have any real sugar in them! Must try these asap!

Kris May 17, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Thanks Vicky! That’s what I like too. I try to limit my refined sugar intake as much as I can. :)

Genevieve May 17, 2012 at 11:57 am

I just read that temperatures are supposed to be hotter than normal this summer in Canada, so I think I’ll need to find some popsicle moulds so I can make my own frozen treats like this! I’ve made a quick avocado ice cream before, so I think an avocado popsicle would be amazing too – it sounds like it would be similar to those creamy yogurt popsicles that I love. I wouldn’t have thought of adding green tea powder. I definitely have to try these soon!

Kris May 17, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Thanks Genvieve! These popsicles are actually quite similar to yogurt popsicles. They’re really creamy considering there’s no dairy. My mum will be excited to hear of a heat wave! The past few summers have been so chilly and rainy in Ottawa.

Heidi @ Food Doodles May 17, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I love this idea! I don’t know why I think avocado and matcha is such a good combo, but it sounds amazing!

CARMELA May 18, 2012 at 9:32 am

It looks delicious! I’ll try it! Have a nice weekend! ; )

Leslie May 19, 2012 at 1:32 am

It looks amazing!
I love avocado ice cream but have a hard time finding a vegan version!
I’ll definitely make a ton of those this summer!
Did you try them without the matcha powder or have any suggestion for replacing it?

Gourmet Popsicles Miami May 20, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Wow, I am going to need to implement this in my pops!

Danielle May 20, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Hello,
These look amazing and sound so delicious,
I was wondering if there was anyway to make these treats without having a food processor?

Kris May 20, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Thanks Danielle! If your avocados are really soft you could try blending everything together with a hand mixer.

Angueles June 14, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I was wondering, does the matcha powder make it taste better or will it still be good without it? Thanks.

Cas June 22, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Just a week or so ago, I found some popsicle moulds in the $1 bin section at the front of my local target store. (they were $2.50 for a mould to make 8 popsicles)

Laura July 15, 2012 at 9:59 am

Yum. On the hunt for healthy popsicles and my daughter wanted to try some with green tea. Pinning this recipe. I have two sets of popsicle molds and want more! They must be trendy in Michigan because they seem to be everywhere!

Mary @ Fit and Fed July 17, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I was planning to make some green tea ice cream, have the matcha, saw a bunch of ripe avocados on the counter, and wondered if anyone had combined the two ingredients in their green tea ice cream. You have! Thanks for letting me know how the ice cream turned out. Guess if I try it, I’ll have to add something to keep it from freezing as hard (egg whites or alcohol being the obvious choices).

mjskit August 9, 2012 at 10:37 am

What a great way to cool off and not feel guilty! Love these popsicles and your pictures are gorgeous!

Ann August 17, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Reminds me of an avocado/pineapple refrigerator ice cream we used to make when I was a child. The trick was to take it out before it’s frozen solid and stir it thoroughly. Then it doesn’t turn into an unscoopable brick.

Ann August 17, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Whoops, should have said, stir it thoroughly and put it back in to freeze some more.