Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

by Kris on May 29, 2012

I hope you all had a fantastic memorial day weekend! Friday evening Greg and I joined several friends at the Rangers Stadium for a fun night of baseball. I was particularly excited for this game because they were playing the Toronto Blue Jays!

Greg and I thought we’d be the only fans in the stadium but to our surprise we were seated behind another Jays fan. Unfortunately the Rangers brought their A-game and the Jays lost 14-3.

Despite the big loss we had a great time and ate a lot of unique stadium food. We tried the Texas cheese fries and two of our friends bought a two foot long, one pound hot dog that is referred to as the Texas Champion.

This thing was so insanely huge it spanned across one and a half stadium seats. The Jays fan in front of us ate a whole one himself. I wouldn’t be surprised if he died later that night. It took four of us to eat a Texas Champion and there was still enough left to feed another person!

Needless to say we went on a bit of a detox for the rest of the weekend. Lots of fresh fruit, vegetables and water was needed to flush out the Friday night binge.

Saturday morning I picked up a basket of tomatillos at the farmer’s market. I’ve always wanted to make my own green salsa so I figured memorial weekend was a great time to try! I roasted the tomatillos which gave the salsa a rich flavor. I also accidentally rubbed my eyes after chopping the jalapeno and spent the following hour trying to rinse out the burning pain. Live and learn my friends, live and learn…

This roasted tomatillo salsa comes together quickly. You can eat it right away, but I found letting it rest overnight helped intensify the flavor. If you aren’t a fan of spicy salsa I would recommend using only one jalapeno as two gives it a hearty kick.

What did you do this long weekend? Did you celebrate the warm weather with a fun summer recipe?

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

Yield 2 cups

Ingredients:
  • 6 tomatillos
  • 1 white onion, diced
  • 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
  • juice from 2 limes
  • 1 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • ½ Tsp. salt
  • ¼ Tsp. sugar
Directions:
  1. Remove the papery peel from the tomatillos and rinse under cold water. Slice in half and place cut side down on a cast iron skillet. Broil for 10 minutes until slightly charred. Place in the bowl of a food processor.
  2. Add diced onion, jalapenos, lime juice, cilantro, and garlic to the bowl of the food processor. Pulse for about 1 minute until smooth. Add salt and sugar and pulse until combined.
  3. Place the salsa in a sealable container and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend together.
  4. Serve cold with tortilla chips.

Dixya May 29, 2012 at 9:00 am

the salsa looks so fresh and delicious and I binged on chips and salsa the whole weekend so Im thinking about detox this whole week.

Kris May 31, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Thanks! I think the food is one of my favorite aspects of summer holidays!

Brit May 29, 2012 at 10:37 am

I live for tomatillo salsa! I make a version of this salsa, but never roasted, so this is a must-try for next time. Also, beautiful photos as always.

Kris May 31, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Thanks so much Brit!

Freddi May 29, 2012 at 10:58 am

Hi Kris!

Nothing to do with the recipe, even though it looks good! But the drinks/sauce glass in the background, I see them a lot on american food blogs, I was just wondering what company makes these?

Speak soon!

Kris May 31, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Freddi, the jar in the background is a Mason jar which is made by a few companies, most commonly by Ball. They’re meant for canning so you can buy them in a case at the grocery store. I like them because they are a cheap option for food storage that is glass and not plastic. Hope that helps!

Natalie May 29, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I think I’ve only ever tried tomatillo salsa from a jar, but the homemade version sounds like it would be a million times better! Also, I love that you still cheered for the Blue Jays despite being one of the few fans in the audience :)

Kris May 31, 2012 at 2:25 pm

So much better homemade! It’s easy cheering for the Blue Jays in Texas. Both team colors are blue, white and red and both start with ‘T’. I can walk amongst them undetected (almost) haha.

Cara May 30, 2012 at 8:41 pm

We had an awesome weekend too – with plenty of roasted tomatillo salsa! It’s definitely a new adiction. My version is quite similar except that I roast all the veggies (tomatillo, jalapeno, onion and garlic) and along with cilantro and lime juice we throw some avocado in too. Awesome on turkey burgers, and salmon burgers the next day!

Kris May 31, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I’m so addicted to tomatillo salsa too Cara. I love that you add avocado to yours! I’m going to try that next time!