Nothing tastes more like summer than a cold slice of watermelon. The days are now hot and humid while the evenings are warm and balmy. I absolutely love early summer. Weekends are full of baseball games, pool side parties and laid back patio conversations. When five o’clock rolls around nothing sounds better than an ice cold beer. Well, almost nothing.
Yesterday evening Greg came home with a bottle of white rum. The mint in our garden is still in it’s early stages so mojitos were unfortunately not an option. I scoured the fridge looking for refreshing ingredients for an impromptu cocktail. Watermelon, strawberries, limes and coconut water all seemed promising. I threw it all in the bender with a dash of agave, a few shots of rum and a handful of ice cubes.
The final cocktail was summer in a glass. I loved how refreshing the sweet watermelon tasted and the limes gave a perfect amount of zest. Although we used rum, you could opt to use any alcohol of your choice. Vodka, Tequila or even Whiskey could pair well with the flavors in this drink. This cocktail is now my go to summer beverage.
What is your favorite cocktail of the summer season? I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
Strawberry Watermelon Cocktail
- 2 cups watermelon, roughly chopped
- ½ cup strawberries, diced
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 tbsp. agave nectar
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 cup ice
- 2-4 shots of white rum
- In a blender combine watermelon, strawberries, coconut water, agave nectar and lime juice; pulse until smooth.
- Add one cup of ice to the blender and pulse until the ice is crushed.
- Divide between 4 glasses. You can optionally add one shot of rum or tequila to each glass. Serve with a straw and garnish with strawberry slices or citrus wedges.
- Serve immediately