Sometimes the best meals are complete accidents. This Thai chicken pizza came about from an impromptu fridge cleaning. On Sunday we we’re a little stumped for dinner. We had marinated chicken in the fridge that I had intended to make on Friday, but never got around to it. We also had a ball of pizza dough and vegetables for a stir fry. In an attempt to use all our leftovers before going grocery shopping, I thought of a pizza I used to enjoy in high school.
My friends and I would often stop for pizza after class on Fridays. Our school was sandwiched between a residential neighborhood and and an industrial area which gave us very few food options. There was a Lebanese restaurant, a Tim Hortons, and a pizza parlor. The pizza toppings were fairly standard at this restaurant, however there was one that stood out among the rest; Thai Chicken Pizza. The sauce was a spicy peanut sauce and it had grilled chicken, green onions, carrots, bean sprouts and cheese. The first time I tried it I was hooked and from that day on, it became my standard order.
Relying on fond memories, I whipped this pizza together while Greg grilled our chicken. It was the perfect Sunday night dinner, enjoyed with a cold beer and great company. The leftovers were also a great lunch the next day at work. This pizza can easily be made vegan as well with a few minor adjustments. I would recommend replacing the grilled chicken with the grilled tempeh from my Thai Spring Roll recipe and using almond cheese instead of mozzarella.
What’s your favorite toppings for pizza? Do you prefer the classics or trying something new? I’ll eat almost anything on a pizza except for anchovies and red onions. How about you?
Thai Chicken Pizza
- 1 14 oz ball of prepared pizza dough
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tsp. sriracha
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup broccoli, shaved
- 1/4 cup carrots, shaved
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-4 drops chili oil
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 green onion, chopped
- In a sealable container, combine sriracha, one tablespoon of sesame oil, minced garlic, and red pepper flakes. Toss chicken breast in sauce and marinate for a minimum of one hour.
- Grill the chicken on a barbecue until internal temperature reaches 170 F. Remove from grill and dice into bite size pieces.
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 475 F.
- Unroll the dough and sprinkle the bottom with one teaspoon of cornmeal. Transfer to the pizza stone and bake for 7 minutes.
- In the meantime create the sauce. Combine sesame oil, peanut butter, soy sauce, garlic, chili oil, red pepper flakes and green onions in a small bowl.
- Remove the pizza dough from the oven and drizzle the crust with prepared sauce. Top with cheese, grilled chicken, shaved broccoli, shaved carrots, red pepper slices, diced green onions and bean sprouts.
- Return the pizza to the oven and bake for 10 minutes more until cheese melts and crust is golden. Slice and serve.
If you like this recipe, you may also like:
- Thai Spring Rolls with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Thai Watermelon Milkshake by Jenn from Foodess
- Thai Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Sommer from A Spicy Perspective
- Easy Thai Raw Broccoli Salad by Kalyn from Kalyns Kitchen
- Thai Style Black Quinoa Salad by Kevin from Closet Cooking