Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Muffins

by Kris on July 24, 2012

Growing up, I ate a lot of muffins. My mum made them every week. If there wasn’t a muffin for breakfast, without a doubt one would be in my lunch bag. Because I ate so many muffins, I never was all that fond of them. My friends on the other hand loved mum’s muffins. They would always find a way to come over right around the time the kitchen timer went off. Like clockwork, the muffins came out of the oven, and my friends were at the door.

It’s been a long time since I’ve had one of mum’s muffins, and I’m actually really starting to miss them! Now that I’m working full time, I don’t have the same energy to cook as I used to. Sometimes it’s difficult to prepare lunches for the next day, when all I want to do is relax. I started making muffins a few weeks ago for my lunch, and I think I finally understand why mum made so many muffins. You can bake a batch Sunday morning, and you have a portable breakfast, snack or lunch ready at your fingertips all week.

I had some buttermilk leftover from the fried chicken I made last week, so rather than making pancakes, I decided to make a batch of chocolate chip muffins. In all honesty these are the best muffins I’ve ever made. The buttermilk kept the inside of the muffins moist while the outside had the perfect golden crust. They barely made it a day, as I couldn’t stop eating them! Thankfully I froze half the batter in a muffin tin so I can pop a new batch in the oven mid week.

I’m excited to try variations of this recipe. Next week I may try cinnamon apple or peach. Although I may keep my options open until I see what looks appealing at the farmers market this weekend. What are your favorite muffin flavors?

Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Muffins

• 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400.
  2. Spray a 12 half cup sized muffin tin with cooking spray and place 12 paper liners inside.
  3. In a medium bowl whisk together sugar, buttermilk, canola oil, egg and vanilla extract.
  4. In a large bowl sift together whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  5. Slowly add the buttermilk mixture to the bowl and fold until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
  6. Divide the batter between the 12 muffins cups and bake for 20-25 minutes until the tops are golden.
  7. Cool five minutes in the pan and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.

If you like this recipe, you may also like:

CARMELA July 24, 2012 at 6:53 am

yummy yummy! delicious muffins! xo

Natalie July 24, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I love making a batch of healthy muffins on the weekend to have for snacks through the week .. They’re so easy to make, freeze well, and are the perfect size for a mid-afternoon or mid-morning snack. Yours look delicious!

Marissa July 24, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Banana chocolate chunk are my fave! I’ve also become a muffin baker for the last couple months to save spending 2$ a muffin at Timmie’s when it’s 2$ to make a whole batch. I was looking for a good maple muffin recipe…hint hint :D

caren July 24, 2012 at 8:49 pm

So great to stumble upon another veggie loving canadian expat! I see you’re from ontario, but sadly, my geography is too pathetic to pinpoint from where exactly, based on your map. Kingston maybe?

I’m from Toronto….well, Richmond Hill to be specific, but that’s not very exciting or well known. I’ve been in California for almost 7 years and I’ll NEVER spend another snowy winter back home.

Anyway, great to connect! Love your photography!

Cheers
C

Lisa L July 25, 2012 at 10:29 am

Thank you for the recipe, these turned out really well except I couldn’t find 2% buttermilk. I ended up using 1% and did half chocolate chip, half blueberry. Very tasty!

Clarissa July 25, 2012 at 11:31 am

Thanks for sharing!! I’ve been searching forever for a chocolate chip muffin recipe that has the crisp crust on top, I’m definitely trying this recipe this weekend! Just hoping it cools down enough for me to turn my oven on :-)

May I Have That Recipe August 2, 2012 at 1:01 pm

These look delicious and very simple! I love chocolate chip muffins!

Kathryn August 7, 2012 at 9:47 am

Belated thanks for the link to my lemon muffins! Chocolate chip muffins are my absolute favourite though and I love that you used buttermilk to keep them lovely and moist.

sunidhi August 28, 2012 at 7:38 am

Thank u so much for this recipe. i was thinking its very difficult to prepare at home and i never tried. but u have described it very well i will try and let u know.

Food Exposed November 22, 2012 at 5:41 am

Mmmm, love those chocolate muffins… :) And I see there’s no margarine in the recipe, even better. Gotta be careful about all those ingredients you put in there. I was eating everything up until a few years ago when I started caring about my health. I realized that you have to read ingredient labels to know what is in your food. That’s why I made a website listing all the ingredients of various food products. Check it out and feel free to link to any product you use in your recipes!

Cheers, Nikola